The Shared Decision Making National Resource Center advances patient-centered medical care by promoting shared decision making through the development, implementation, and assessment of patient decision aids and shared decision making techniques.
We seek to become leaders in shared decision making for patients with chronic conditions and cardiovascular diseases. We are in a unique position to achieve this vision as Mayo Clinic is a patient-centered organization with internal resources, in both practice and research, aligned to promote best practices for shared decision making.
We contribute to achieving shared decision making goals expressed in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act by:
- Developing and evaluating patient decision aids
- Contributing to defining international decision aid standards
- Defining high performance organizations using shared decision making
- Educating and training care providers in communication techniques
- Adopting and using patient decision aids at the point of care
- Contributing to statewide implementation efforts
- Certifying patient decision aids through collaboration with external partners